Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THOMAS DAVID EVANS My Great, Great, Great Grandfather

Since my childhood, I've always heard about my great-great grandfather, Thomas David Evans, who pulled a handcart across the plains on a wooden leg. I've always been honored to mention "one of my ancestors" in discussions, thinking that I honored him by doing so. Yet, I never took time to find out and remember his name, or to really learn his story. At one point I lived a block away from the DUP museum in Salt Lake and never went to see his wooden leg or other artifacts on display there. I've read a couple of brief paragraphs of his trek written by descendants, and I've imagined what it that might have been like to cross the plains on a wooden leg many times, but I would love to hear his story in his own words. I found the next best thing...part of a journal written by Thomas D. Evans and the history of Priscilla Merriman Evans, his wife. She gives a brief account of their journey and how painful it was for him to walk, but he only speaks briefly about crossing the plains with no mention of his leg. Thomas does talk about a couple of times during his mission when his wooden leg made his travel on foot difficult. From these brief mentions, I know that my imagined version of the trek doesn't hold a candle to how difficult the reality would have been! The courage and faith of my great great great grandparents is incredible. Once again, theirs is a story that's the sum of its whole. As you will read, the trek was only one small piece of their lives, and another example of how each day brought new and different challenges that they forged through. It's humbling to realize how much credit and honor we owe them for all that we have!



JOURNAL OF THOMAS D. EVANS

My name is Thomas D. Evans, I am the son of David Evans and Jane Morris Evans. I was born in Troedyrhiw, near M erthyr Tydfil Glamorganshire, South Wales, Feb. 14, 1833. My father David Evans, died when I was three years old, leaving my mother a widow with eight children, five sons and three daughters. At the age of seven I went to work in the iron works. The first work I did was lifting the door for the puddlers in a forge room where there were two thousand workmen employed. The lifting had to be done regularly, for iron like a ball of fire passed through the hot state into grooves to make rails, nails, and many other things were made from the hot iron. It was a very responsible position for a man, but such were the child labor conditions at that time in Europe. I continued taking the courses, one after another, until I had completed the trade or profession of iron roller.
An unlucky calamity happened to me when I was about nine years old. My mother sent me to Sunday School one morning, but I was so confined to the steel plant during the week that I concluded to play truant. I went off to play and the wheels of a train went over my leg just below the knee. I had a good Doctor but he had to amputate my leg, and I have worn a wooden leg ever since.
When I was about sixteen years of age, I and my companions, Benjamin Haddock and Watkin Reese, were down on the public green a place where they held their sports. It was on Sunday and we saw a large crowd gather on the street. Thinking there was a fight or boxing going on, we ran up there and found it was two Mormon Elders preaching to the people. They were the first I had ever heard, and I was so impressed with the truth of the principles they taught, that I invited the elders home and gave them food and lodging. After a few days of investigating the doctrines they taught, I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My two companions were also baptized. From that time on I had to stand many persecutions from my fellow workmen.
I was soon ordained a Priest and took hold of the ministry. I converted my mother and step-father, David Jones. They being the only ones of my family who joined the Church. I was ordained an elder and called to the ministry. I traveled among my friends, neighbors and relatives preaching the Gospel of life and salvation. It was not long before I had a branch of the Church organized in my birth place. I was then called as a home missionary where I traveled and preached in what was called the circle, consisting of Merthyr, Pendarren, Dowlas, Romey and Aberdare, and Irwin for one year.
I was present when a great miracle was performed. While working in a coal mine a large rock fell on David Richards. The doctor had given him up as his back was broken. He covered him up with a sheet and said he was as good as dead, but they sent for the elders and at the request of Pres. William Phillips, Richards was annointed by Thomas Reese, then again by Thomas D. Evans (myself), and was then administered to by Pres. William Phillips, when you could hear the bones snap together like the cracking of an old basket. In a few days Bro. Richards was traveling around bearing his testimony to the goodness of God to him, and he converted many to the truth. The power of God was so strongly manifested in the room that the brethren wept for joy. President Phillips was a man of great faith. I was said of him that he could almost raise the dead. The account of this wonderful healing is recorded in the Millennial Star with a mistake in one of the names. In Pres. Phillips note to Orson Pratt, Henry Evans is inserted instead of my own name, Thomas Evans. I am an eye witness and took part in the annointing, and kept a record of the event in my journal of missionary labors. After the publication of the event in the Star I did not rectify the mistake as I did not care for the notoriety, but am correcting it here for my children, as I have related it to them many times.
About that time I was subject to quinsy, my throat closed so I could take no nourishment only by inserting a silver tube. I had been subject to it for many years. I had a bad spell of it when a brother, Hugh Merriman, asked me if I did not have faith to be healed. I was suffering very much so he called for a wash bowl, he then washed and anointed my throat and administered to me, and I immediately threw up a lump that had gathered in my throat. I have never had quinsy since.
[Quinsy is a very severe form of tonsillitis caused by a strep or staph infection. It causes an abscess behind one of the tonsils that can grow very large. Today, with the treatments available, it would be very rare for an abscess to grow as large as Thomas describes here. The greatest threat is that it could rupture causing the pus to drain into the throat where it can enter the lungs with fatal results. Interesting to note is one common characteristic of quinsy...a "hot potato" voice, which Thomas may have had. The abscess muffles the sound and distorts vowel sounds so that they sound as if the person is talking with a piece of very hot food in their mouth.]
I was in the habit of repeating the name of God too often in speaking and praying, also in using the words, brethren and sisters, which was annoying to those presiding, for which they reproved me many times. One night I had a dream and at the foot of my bed I saw a printed paper with the Lord's Prayer plainly printed on it, and the name of the Lord was only repeated once. I soon broke myself of that habit. There was a sick man most unto death and he had sores on his legs, and President Phillips told him that he had broken the commandments of God, but if he had faith and would repent and sin no more, he would be healed. T. C. Martell annointed him, and Pres. Phillips administered to him and he was instantly healed.
I had been doing all my preaching in Welsh, and Pres. Phillips called me to go to Pembrokeshire, where I had to study the English language to be able to convey my message to the people who did not speak Welsh, and can bear testimony to you that the Lord helped me in overcoming my difficulties. When I was set apart for that mission it was predicted that the days of my life spent in that country should be spent in expounding the Gospel scriptures, and that I should never be confounded by the enemy so long as I kept the commandments of God, and studied His word, which promise was verified.
In the spring of 1852, I left my home in Glamorganshire, to go to Pembrokeshire, South Wales, to travel as I had been traveling and preaching without purse or script. About a mile from my home brother Abram met me and gave me a sovereign, about $5.00. He said, "It will help you on your way." I had a companion David Reese, like myself, without money. We reached Swansea when our money gave out. It was very rainy and muddy and we had to walk. Not being used to walking we were in a sorry plight, we were tired, footsore, and hungry. We thought to get food and rest with an aunt of David Resse's, but when she found out we were Mormons her love turned to hate and she would not let us stay in her house. Imagine, if you can, how we felt. After walking fifteen miles farther to the home of brother Howell of Stepaside who received us kindly, God bless him, they got up out of their beds and gave us their warm places, after giving us food and dry clothing.
The weather was very rainy in Wales, and my wooden leg would sink deep in the mud, and it took a great deal of my strength to pull it out, so when we reached brother Howell's, I was tired all over and could scarcely walk. We rested there a few days then started on foot to the town of Pembroken, a distance of about ten miles, where we were to report to headquarters. We were assigned to travel among the Saints of that conference for awhile. I had been studying the English language and all my preaching was done in that tongue as the people in that part of Wales did not speak the Welsh language.
It was while traveling in Tenby that I met Priscilla Merriman, who later became my wife. About that time the tracts came out advocating the principle of plurality of wives. I was assigned to travel among the Saints and explain it to the satisfaction of the people. There were then about three hundred Saints in my district. The Saints had heard nothing of that principle, and it brought on a great deal of persecution to the Saints also the missionaries of the world. However, with the help of the Lord, I could prove my point from the scriptures, and they eventually calmed down. I was going down to Morlas one day and had traveled about 12 miles before having any breakfast, when a man, Jimmie Hughes, left his work in the field and came out to meet me. He told me he had seen me the night before in a dream, and he knew I was hungry, so he took me in and provided for my wants although he was very poor himself.
One time when my companion, D. T. Davies, and I were in Pembrokeshire, a mob got after us and marched us out of town to the music of pans, horns, and bad eggs. They stood on the bridge and held me by the hair of the head over the water and threatened to throw me in if I did not deny that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I always felt to trust in the Lord while doing his work. They were the frightened ones when a large man walked into the crowd and they scattered. When I turned to look for the man to thank him, he was nowhere to be seen. The thought came to me many times that he was one of the three Nephites. In the early days of the Church the Lord protected his faithful servants in many marvelous ways.
I was then called to fill a mission to Cardigan, North Wales. The city contained about twenty thousand inhabitants. There had been elders sent there to preach the gospel but the people were so rebellious against Mormonism that they frightened the elders and drove them out before finishing their missions. I was sent there without a friend, or a cent, to provide for my wants, but determined to stay there and fill my mission if it cost me my life. I had walked twenty miles without my breakfast, and I was very tired and hungry, everything looked dark and gloomy, so I sat down on a rock by a cooling stream to rest before crossing the stream and entering the city. I could not help comparing my present situation of need and assistance to my mother's home of comfort and plenty as I thought of my friendless condition. So I knelt down by the rock and in the humility of my heart asked my Heavenly Father to bless and comfort me and help me perform my duty as His servant. I arose from my knees with renewed courage and crossed the bridge and at once everything looked brighter. I could hear my birds singing, see the sun shining, and a load seemed lifted from my heart, and I knew that my Heavenly Father would not desert me in time of need if I was humble and kept His commandments. I went into the city of Cardigan and hired a bell to announce a meeting place at 7 P.M. When I reached the place at the appointed time, there was not a person there, so I opened the meeting by singing. "Hark Listen to the Trumpeters," then I opened with a prayer and sang again. By this time there was a large and attentive audience.
I lodged at the Plough and the lady who kept it was very kind to me and often gave me food when her husband was away, he being very bitter against the Mormons. I frequently traveled on the outskirts of the city among the farmers who were not so hard hearted. Many times I was glad to dine in a turnip patch. Once when I was holding a street meeting, I was arrested by a policeman, whose accusation was that I had stopped the thoroughfare. He kept me in jail overnight. Having to plead my own case, proved to them that the people not I closed the street, so I was set at liberty.
I was out selling tracts one day when a lady beckoned to me from the opposite side of the street. Thinking perhaps she meant some children near me I waited to reach the crossing and go up the other side. But when I was opposite her door she was there, and said, "Come in and sit down. You are hungry, aren't you? The lady had the table set for two, and when we were seated she said, "I saw you in a dream last night and I saw that your stomach was empty. So I knew that you were hungry." She said I was dressed just as she saw me in her dreams. I talked with her and explained my mission, unfolding to her the principles of the gospel for which she had been praying. I baptized her with three or four others. They had to leave the place as persecution was so great against them. Before leaving, Elder David Reese came up to make me a visit, when an incident happened. We were traveling around that vicinity and had walked twenty miles without anything to eat. While going through a little village, we were mistaken for two Baptist Ministers who were expected there that day. The lady who was expecting them ran out to meet us, and invited us in to dine. She asked us if we had traveled from Cardigan, we told her we had, she inquired about the weather and wanted to know if my name was Evans. I told her it was, so she seemed satisfied and asked us in to sit right up to the table and help ourselves. I can assure you that we did justice to the good things before us. Presently a girl was sent over to the public house to procure some beer for the Ministers when Lo and behold, there was a man there who knew me, and asked the girl what she was doing with those Mormon elders over there. The girl ran back much excited without the beer. We had enjoyed a good dinner, thanked the good lady for our entertainment, left our blessings with her, and took our departure. We continued on our journey of five miles more very much refreshed and thankful.
I was in Cardigan and vicinity six months when I was released by Dan Jones, who appointed me to preside over the North Pembrokeshire conference. David T. Davis was my companion at the time. There were quite a number who were baptized at that time in Fish Grand the home of Joseph A. Reese. This so enraged the enemy that the police and mobs tried to drive us out of town. Influenced by ministers, we were driven out by the mobs and told to leave and threatened with violence if we did not go. We had nowhere to stay that night, so we walked about two miles, when a kind lady took us in and provided for our wants. I returned to Fish Grand in a few days. The policeman who helped to drive us out said, "I thought I told you to leave." I said, "You did, but you didn't tell me not to come back again." The answer was so amusing to the officer that he took a liking to me and proved to be a friend of mine as long as I remained there.
I was released from the Pembrokeshire conference after spending two years after which I began to make preparations to come to Zion. I had traveled on foot without purse or scrip for six years, preaching the glad tidings that the Prophet Joseph Smith had seen an angel; that through him the Gospel of Christ had been restored, the Church of Jesus Christ organized, and missionaries sent out to warn the nations and preach to them the gospel of life and salvation. I had the satisfaction of baptizing and converting many people to the Gospel of Christ. I went to Troedyrhiw, the home of my mother to pay a visit to my mother, brothers, sister, neighbors and friends. When I told them I was soon going to America, they felt very bad and tried to persuade me to stay home. I told them I was all ready and was going to get married. They promised to keep my wife and send me to school if I would stay. They were all in good circumstances, while I, the youngest of the family who had left home just after completing my trade and not yet 16 years old, to travel and preach the gospel on foot having no money and no friends except the ones I converted and my heavenly Father, had nothing that is no worldly goods; but I considered myself richer than my kindred who had rejected the truth, for I felt richer in the principles of the ever lasting gospel.
I went to Pembrokeshire and was married to Miss Priscilla Merriman on April 3, 1856. We walked ten miles to Pembroke, procured our license, were married and walked back to Tenby where a few friends awaited us. They had prepared supper and we felt very grateful for their kindness to us.
We set sail for America on April 17, 1856. We did not have much of the world's goods when we started, but we had enough to help some who were more unfortunate than ourselves. We lived on ship rations for five weeks. I was not seasick so was able to wait on my wife and others who were very sick. We landed at Boston in the month of May, traveled to Iowa City by rail, remained in Iowa City three weeks waiting for the handcart company to be made up. We had many inducements to remain there and work at my trade, as iron rollers were scarce then. I was offered $10 per day to remain but money was no inducement to me then, as I had looked forward so long to the time when I would be released to emigrate to Zion. Many of those who stayed behind to better their circumstances died of cholera, and many apostatized.
When the handcarts were ready we started on a three hundred mile walk to Winter Quarters on the Missouri River. As we traveled through the places, many made fun of us for walking and pulling our carts, but we had fine weather and good roads and felt happy in being thus far on our journey to the Valley. About the 1st day of July, we started on a journey of one thousand miles on foot across the plains. We arrived in Salt Lake City October 2, 1856, being six months on our wedding tour. We were met at the public square by William R. Jones who took us to his home in Spanish Fork, in Utah County. We lived with the family of Stephen Markham for one year. I then began a home for myself and family. I had worked for William Markham who gave me two acres of land, and I made enough adobes to build two rooms. I raised one hundred bushels of wheat, and traded one bushel of wheat for two bushels of potatoes, which gave us enough to last through the winter of 1857. We had no meat, butter or sugar that winter but we got along all right and thanked God for his blessings in bringing us to the land of promise, and that we had a home of our own and could raise up our family and have them with us.
Spanish Fork City had been settled in the spring of 1856, about fifty families had just moved up from Palmyra and settled near the Spanish Fork river. I was one who helped kill the snakes, build the bridges, dig the ditches, get the water out to irrigate the land, and build up the city council and held many offices of trust. I was a teacher in the ward for many years. I also traveled around the settlement as a home missionary. When the Fiftieth Quorum of Seventy was organized in Spanish Fork, I was ordained a member. I was Supt. of the Sabbath School for fourteen years.
Previous to this I purchased a lot on main street, and built a four-room adobe house. I had a good team so I hauled produce to Camp Floyd and procured many useful things we needed. I bought a farm down on the river bottom, but was scarcely fortunate enough to harvest a crop. It could be crickets, grasshoppers, high waters or rust until I became discouraged farming. I sold my farm and built a little store in Spanish Fork. At that time the Cooperative Mercantile Store did all the mercantile business of the place, only individuals with money would go to Salt Lake City and buy their goods at a reduced price. The people were advised to do all their purchasing of goods at the Z.C.M.I., the parent institution, located in Salt Lake City. I, with my little store, was the only competition they had at that time.

A Mission to Wales

In the spring of 1875 I was called on a mission to Wales, my native land. I was set apart and left Salt Lake City, May 12, 1875.
17th-I landed in New York City
29th-I landed in Liverpool.
30th-I preached in Liverpool on Kings Street, under the monument of Richard the Third.
June 1st-I went to Troedyrhiw, Wales, to visit my brothers and sisters. I stayed there one night, then went to Pembrokeshire on business.
10th-I returned to Mother's and preached in my Brother Daniel's club room to a fine audience of relatives and many old friends. After visiting my relatives a few day [sic], I bade them goodbye.
17 & 18th-We held meetings in Swansea. I visited my cousin, the Rev. A. Jones, a Baptist Minister. We conversed two days and half the nights on the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
19th-We went to Llanelly and preached there.
21st-Went to Pengad and held a meeting. We stayed with Brother Fisher, who gave each of us a shilling and sixpence.
22nd-We went to Carmarthin and stayed at the Temperance Hotel that night.
23rd-We visited the Mayor of the city and tried to get the market house to preach in as it was raining. He was sorry, but could not let us have it without the consent of his lawyer. 24th & 25th-Sent out word by the bell man to inform the people that Evans and Martell of Salt Lake City would preach to them in the Town Hall at 7:30 P.M. We had a full house, an attentive audience.
28th-It rained all day, so we could not preach out-of-doors. We went that night on the 10 o'clock train and arrived at 11:30 at the home of William White at Neyland. They had retired to bed, but when they found out who we were, they got up and gave us supper and a good bed.
29th-We stayed with Brother White and had the pleasure of seeing the Regatta, a boat race.
30th-We went to Milford where we sent the Crier out to announce that Evans and Martell of Salt Lake City would hold a meeting in the Market House at 7:30. The weather being fine and the audience too large for the house, we held our meeting on the street. While I was speaking, a man accused president Brigham Young of being a murderer. I defied him, or any other man, to bring the decision of any man or any court to prove that he had broken any law of the land.
July 2nd-We preached on the green to a large audience at 7:30 p.m. We went back to Milford that night in the rain and were disappointed in not getting a bed at Johnson's and could not get a place to stay, so we walked the streets all night in the rain and were very tired in the morning.
3rd- We stayed at Milford, at the home of my father-in-law, Joseph Merriman. It rained all day, but Mr. Merriman was very kind to us and invited us to come again as he had plenty to eat and drink.
6th-We went to Pembrokeshire, but were disappointed in not finding any Saints there, so we visited an old castle and went in the room in which Henry the Seventh was born.
7th-We went to Tenby, the home of my wife, where we sent a crier out to announce our meeting to be held on the Sands that evening. The devil, or some of his imps, sent a sleight-of hand man there, and we could not preach.
9th- We went to Nevlith. It rained all day, but we held a meeting in an old independent chapel. The people would not listen, but asked questions regarding the plurality of wives. I told them I would answer any questions they desired to ask, one at a time, as we could not understand each other in such confusion. I told them we were here to preach the gospel for their own good and not to quarrel with them, but they whooped and yelled like hell had broken loose and dragged us out by our coats. We got away and left them fighting amongst themselves.
14th- I stayed at Salva, and it rained all day and night. I could not get a place to preach in, so was obliged to spend that night in a ship.
20th- Brother White gave me a shilling in silver, for which I was very thankful as I was out of money. I stayed with him that night, as I had traveled on foot through the mud the week before and was very tired.
22nd- I preached at Marloes in the open air to about three hundred people. The Baptist choir came out and sang for me, the leader played his clarinet and the people listened with the greatest of pleasure, although it rained during the meeting. After the meeting, the people came forward to shake hands with me and gave me money, some two pence, some three pence, and one person gave me a shilling. It seemed to me like the widow's mite. I thanked and asked God to bless them. They invited me to come again. They were God's poor, and my heart was so filled with love for them that I could not keep from shedding tears. I felt as if the disciples of Jesus were there.
24th- I went five miles on foot to Neyland and stayed with Brother White.
25th- We went to Stock Rock and St. Gaineswells. There were thousands of birds on the stock--they were just as thick as they could stand. It was a great sight.
29th- I walked twelve miles to Haverfordwest, but was too tired to preach.
August 2nd- I went to Neyland and stayed with Brother White. Sister White gave me one pound in silver. We went to Marloss in Brother White's trap and preached to about three hundred people. The Baptist choir again sang for us, and the people gave us pennies.
5th- I stayed in Marloss and held cottage meetings with the people. I preached there to about three hundred people and spent the night with Joshua Mathias, who gave me three and six pence all in copper. The people felt good toward me.
9th- I started for Tenby on the last rain.
10Th- Went to Haverfordwest and from there to Tenby. Stayed there until the 13th, holding cottage meetings.
18th- Went to dinner with John Jenkins, who belonged to the church, but was cool in the faith. He said he would do better.
19Th- I went out tracting. I applied for the town hall and got it for two shillings and six pence. The crier charged one shilling.
23rd- Went to Little Haven. Most of the people were very attentive at the meeting held at 2:30 p.m. About a half dozen young people kept disturbing the meeting, saying "See old Brigham, well done."
29th- I went to Mother's and held a cottage meeting and conversed with the Saints upon the principles of the Gospel.
30th- I went to Troedyrhiw and stayed with my brother, Dan, and my brother, Abram. Found them all well and held a meeting at Abbergarkey. We had a full house and an excellent meeting.
Sept. 1st, 2nd, 3rd--I stayed with my brother, Abram.
4th- I went to Troedyrhiw and visited my sister, Amelia, and some of the Saints in Merthyr.
6th- I left on the one o'clock train for Pembrokeshire.
October 1st- I walked to Neyland, a distance of twelve miles, and stayed with Brother White.
2nd- I stayed in the house, as I was very tired after walking in the rain.
Dec. 4th- I went back to Wales and held a meeting at the house of Brother Jones. The Baptist choir sang again for me and we had a fine meeting.
11th & 12th- Visited and held cottage meetings. Called on Sister Richards and family who were very poor. I gave her one shilling and two pence to buy bread for the children.
23rd- I went to Pembroke and visited Mrs. Jones, who had been a member of the church for 25 years. She treated me very kind. I tried to get a house to hold a meeting, but could not. I met a sister-in-law of Mrs. Sennet and conversed with her for some time.
29th- We rode with Brother White to Newport and applied for the town hall, but was unable to get it, so went on foot ten miles to Cardigan and put up at the Fat Ox. The police told us if we preached on the street that night, he would lock us up. We went to the Mayor to try and secure the town hall, but the price was two pounds. We had no money so told him we would take it some other time.
30th- We went to Litterton, six miles, and from there to Little New Castle. We could get no house, so stayed there December 1st and 2nd and held cottage meetings.
December 3rd- Went to Wales, held a cottage meeting at the home of Thomas James and had a good time.
4th- Went to Haverfordwest, applied for the town hall, but didn't get it. We stayed at the Black Horse.
29th- We visited the Saints on the green all day and went to the grave of Abel Evans, who died while on a mission to Wales.
30th- I held a cottage meeting at the home of my sister, Charlotte, in Abercanaid, and had a full house.
January 1st, 1876--I stayed at [A]Berdare and attended the funeral of the child of Brother Smith, and dedicated the child's grave.
3rd- I went to see the tin works, examined the process of making tin and from there I went to Treharb Art and stayed with my brother, Abram. February 1st- I went to Little Heaven and held meetings at the home of Thomas Jones.
2nd- I went to Aberstam and baptized Mary James and confirmed her a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
March 16th- I had two hundred handbills printed as follows, "Mr. Thomas D. Evans of Great Salt Lake City, will deliver a lecture on the falling away and the restoration of the Gospel, to be given at Haverfordwest on the 20th."
April 2- I went to Nevlith and visited Mr. Scory and my wife's uncle, James Merriman.
Note: The last of the Journal giving his missionary labors is missing. It seems to be different places of meeting and dates. Most of his missionary labors were done on foot. After returning from this mission he worked at farming and also kept a grocery store. He was well versed in the scriptures and doctrines of the Church, and many young men came to him for an explanation of the principles. Before starting on his mission to Europe in 1875, he had been Superintendent of Sunday School. When he got to the depot some of the boys took him on their shoulders and put him on the car. They all sang, "Stay at home, Tommy, don't go." He was of a fun loving and jovial disposition and had many friends among the young and old. He always attended his meetings and church duties.
He regretted all his life the loss of many valuable books, also the genealogy he had gathered during his first six years of missionary work. He could not bring them with him on the handcart, so the books, bedding and clothing were left to be sent later, but he never received them.
He died August 2, 1906, and was buried in the Spanish Fork Cemetery.
Thomas David Evans and Priscilla Merriman Evans Family, ca. 1901


sources: http://www.lib.byu.edu/dlib
http://welshmormonhistory.org/ (Dr. Ronald Dennis)

4 comments:

  1. Hello - it's great to meet a relative. Thomas & Priscilla are my great-great grandparents as well. I come through their daughter, sarah amelia evans who married david williams in spanish fork. Sure wish there were an Evans family reunion. BTW, I have copies of the transcription done by their granddaughter from their written history as it resides in the LDS Church History library if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am a relative as well and am grateful for an insight to this great man. A name on a genealogy sheet does not do him or his family justice. I do remember attending family reunions in Spanish Fork as a child though. My grandmother, Ada Fern and her 7 siblings were raised in Spanish Fork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    My Grandfather was Dr. Dean C. Evans, son of Charles A. Evans, who was the son of Thomas. I always heard the story of his wooden leg, but did not know any details. I decided to do some research on him for my son who is giving a talk on pioneers, and I am so thankful to you for posting this! What an inspirational man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Thomas was my Great Great Grandfather through Sarah as well. My Grandparents were Harold Albert Swenson and Jennie Alberta Williams Swenson of Spanish Fork. It's fun to see all the ways history connects people. Thanks for posting this!! A reunion would be amazing. I still have a lot a of family that lives in Spanish Fork.

    ReplyDelete